Start Playing Around (link)
Start Playing Around, Fall 2015, Rutgers University, is an English composition course, taught by Michael Russo with the purpose of inspiring students to become better thinkers, better writers, and better citizens of the public sphere. The class is modeled on the pedagogies of Dr. William FitzGerald, Dr. James J. Brown Jr., Dr. James Crosswhite (The Rhetoric of Reason), Dr. Ian Bogost (Persuasive Games), and Michael Russo.
By engaging with persuasive, rhetorical games, students are be placed in a position of simulation-identification in an effort to spark fruitful and interesting cross-cultural conversation. In simpler terms, students play games, think critically about games, and write critically about games. They also create their own persuasive games.
Everyone's an Author
Everyone's an Author, by Andrea Lunsford, published by Norton, is a required text in the class, Start Playing Around, Rutgers University-Camden. The book is required reading for all (2015-2016) Rutgers University-Camden undergraduates taking a composition course.
From the Publisher:
"Everyone’s an Author focuses on writing as it really is today—with words, images, and sounds, in print and online—and encourages students to see the connections between their everyday writing and academic writing. It covers the genres college students need to learn to write—and teaches them to do so across media. It bridges the gap between Facebook and academic writing, showing how the strategies students use instinctively in social media can inform their academic writing. And it provides a strong rhetorical framework that guides students in the decisions they need to make as authors today.".
A list of current and past courses that I’ve taught or helped to teach. The following links to course syllabuses, readings, schedules, and other materials. Some of the links take you to other places. Those before 2014 are not included in this wiki.
- ENGL 1030-52: Orality, Literacy, Electracy, Clemson F2017
- ENGL 1030-71: Orality, Literacy, Electracy, Clemson F2017
- ENGL 1030-30: Everyday Object/ive/s, Clemson S2017
- ENGL 1030-39: Everyday Object/ive/s, Clemson S2017
- ENGL 103-70: Critical Politics, Clemson F2016
- ENGL 103-50: Critical Politics, Clemson F2016
- Object Research, Rutgers S2016
- Start Playing Around, Rutgers F2015
- Privacy Reboot, Rutgers S2015
- Intro to Digital Humanities, Rutgers S2015
- Literature and Videogames, Rutgers F2014
- Dissent and Debate, Rutgers F2014
- Open-Source Zine Publication, GWCHS 2010 (no link)